Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Long time coming...

For those of you who know me (either in school or in the work force), you know how much I want to be a fashion photographer... Pretty darn bad!

One of the main reasons why I chose to go to the Ohio Institute of Photography and Technology (now, sadly, known as Kaplan College) was because they offer a fashion photography class. I have tried, and often times failed, at putting a fashion edge to my work. I've come to discover that I tend to rush through shoots. I either get excited and forget what I originally wanted to do, thus forgetting to move the light, or have the model look into the light (Thanks for the reminder, Libby :) )... Or, I got a project or two behind, and I'm trying to play catch up. Take your pick. I won't mind...

Now that I think about it, it might be because sometimes I hear people talk about how oddly posed fashion models are, and that no one would ever be in that position/pose in real life. And I might, in some small way, be afraid of what some people might think.

Fear has held me back from a lot of things in my life. Here recently, held me back creatively. Fear of not getting the basic project requirements in an image. Fear of someone telling me that my work isn't good enough. Being shy and afraid to go up to women who would be perfect to model for me...

I've been stuck for a while now. Libby, my instructor, helped me realize this. I'm starting to get so focused on getting projects done that I'm forgetting what makes a good photograph stand out. It also doesn't help that I've been in wedding class this quarter, and I HATE weddings! But, good news has come...

I'm in fashion class this coming quarter! Just in time for the fall! I've been waiting for this class since November 2008! I was once told that people at school knew me as "The guy who really wants to be a fashion photographer."

I think it will be really good for me to be doing something that I really want to do for an entire quarter. Learning how to light clothing (side light blacks to show detail), and to not feel as though I'm being judged for having my model be in a funny pose. If it works for Vogue, then it can work for me! And why should I be afraid if people don't like my work. If I don't like the work they are producing, then why should I listen to them and take what they are saying to heart? Exactly!

2 comments:

  1. So Troy, how exactly do you define fashion photography?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikipedia defines fashion photography as "A genre of photography devoted to displaying clothing and other fashion items. Fashion photography is most often conducted for advertisements or fashion magazines such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, or Allure."

    I define it as a sub genre of commercial photography that shows the clothing first, then the model. And their are sub categories of fashion as well; advertising style, editorial, life style, high end, ect.

    ReplyDelete